|Slow computer - how to fix it Home|
Bookmark this page
Bookmark this page
Working with a slow computer can be time consuming as programs/ applications take a long time to start. This problem is more pronounced in computers which have been used for 6 or more months.
How to fix it
1.Check the programs running in the background. Most computer users need only a few basic programs but many other programs are loaded as a default by the computer manufacturer. Many antivirus programs run in the background and slow down the computer.
Run msconfig and remove all programs which are not used. You will have to reset the computer. Also go to add/remove programs and remove all non-essential software.
2. Defragment your computer hard drive. Click on the "My Computer" icon on the desktop. (for Windows XP) and run disk cleanup first. Then go to Tools and Defragment the hard disk drives (HDD) on your computer. It is advisable to defragment the HDD at least once a week, especially if large amounts of data are being downloaded from the internet. Delete all cookies and downloaded files.
3. Ensure that there is sufficient free space on the HDD where the operating system is loaded. Free space is required as virtual memory. Delete all unwanted files and transfer all large files / folders to other data storage media.
4. You may have a virus, spyware, trojan or adware on your computer. First remove all spyware, adware and then run a free antivirus program . Most viruses can be cleaned or quarantined by antivirus programs
5. Ensure that the latest device drivers are installed on your computer. The latest device drivers are usually available at both the computer and component manufacturers website. If you are not using a particular device, you can disable it
6. If your computer does not have sufficient memory or the memory is damaged, your computer will become slow, so try to add more memory. Windows XP needs at least 128 MB RAM, but 512 MB RAM is recommended for optimum performance.
7. If none of the above options work, you may have to reformat the hard disk and install the operating system again.
© Copyright fixit.in